I was molested by a neighbor when i was 12 yrs old. I lived with the burden alone for almost 2 yrs when I confided in a close friend. By the time I told my parents I was suicidal.
I made numerous bad choices afterward. My parents didn't pursue the issue legally or personally. The man was never confronted. I have suffered with self esteem issues ever since.
Later in life I made more bad choices including tep that I can't forgive myself for. I let someone convince me to have an abortion. Not just once but twice. That is the worst pain I've had to deal with and i can't find it in me to forgive myself.
I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm scared to reach out to anyone. My family would not understand or accept the choices I've made so they are out of the question. I know I need help but i don't know where to turn.
I have suffered with depression most of my life but I have never talked to anyone about it or been medicated.
Please help. What do I need to do?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.