I am 48 years old. I have noticed that almost everything I do triggers a memory of different past humiliating or embarrassing incidents. The connections are not straightforward but very roundabout. Example: I saw a truck drive by with some school type lockers in the back. I thought back to my junior high and immediately thought of an incident of public embarrassment that occurred back then at that school. I dwelt on it, felt the old shame and didn't think of much else for quite some time until I found myself flashing back to some other completely unrelated embarrassing moment. This type of thing is constant during my waking hours. As of yet it has not interfered with my job or home life but is becoming more and more distracting (not to mention having to relive the pain of the recalled event) Is this normal for someone of my age or any age, for that matter?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.