I grew up in a household where my father was an alcoholic and mother a recluse. I have been depressed since childhood and am currently taking anti-depressants. I am 45 years old and have never married. I have four siblings and all are married. I have had several long-term relationships with men through the years. I am 45 years old. I am very attractive but end up with men who are less attractive. All of the men in these relationships have been very kind and caring but I have been very critical and mean to them. They all hang on till the bitter end. My mother treats my father like dirt, but he's a drunk, so I guess he deserves it. She is hypercritical of him and vicious in her verbal attacks. He never stands up for himself. I am in a relationship with a very kind man but I am beginning to mistreat him and need help to stop. I am wondering if my parents twisted relationship has anything to do with my many failed relationships.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.