My parents, after 18 years of marriage, went through a separation. My father sexually abused me a couple of times. This led to me telling my mother and the divorce finalizing. This event happened when I was around 16. I would cry every day, see constant images of the events, and, if my father touched me I would scrape my skin as though to remove his touch. I would envy children with good fathers.
I started cutting myself, drinking alcohol untill stomach pain ensued and I tried to over dose on pills to. I am now 21 and believe that i am cured, except for the empty, fearful feeling in my chest that does not let me sleep. Sometimes, at night, I relive the terrible bad memory. I cannot concentrate and am failing my university classes.
Why is this happening? Is their anyway to fix my bad memory and my concentration problem? Maybe vitamin supplements?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.