My 23 year old step-daughter just moved back in with us against my true desires. She was asked to leave last year after she physically assaulted me. We feel she has bipolar but getting her to seek help she won\'t do. It is always someone else's fault and never hers. She is openly critical towards me. Behind my back she is extremely mean towards me and animals, at times, if they don't do what she wants. She is constantly impatient, negative, and frankly, I feel I am in prison in my own home. I try to talk to my husband and he just wants us to get along, he loves us both. I am at the end of my rope. We provide everything for her so she can go to school and all we get are vile attitudes and poison from her mouth! I've had it with this ungrateful attitude and feeling like she can treat us anyway she wants. I stand up to her but she keeps doing it. I really don't know what to do.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.