Dear Anne, Please advise me. Today is Valentine's day. I have a very caring boyfriend, but I'm very bordered by my mum who is limiting my freedom. I'm 28 years old already, but my mum whom has a lot of fear of me getting married one day, doesn't allow me to back home later than 10pm. On the other hand, my boyfriend wanted some special time for us, for instance to go to the pub tonight to relax together. Both of us working today till 6pm. My mum mood is disturbed on days when she knows I'll spend time with my boyfriend. Because of her own fear that I'll get married and leave her, she has negative thoughts e.g. boy always has bad intention on girl. My mum also read all my letters and insist I sleep in the same room with her. I have no privacy at all at home. She said everything about me should not be a secret to her. She get mad whenever I try to explain to her on privacy issue, to the stage that she can't sleep and keep on asking me what are the secrets and lies I have not tell her the truth. I'm struggling. I love my boyfriend, I want to spend time with him, I want to have freedom to travel with him once a while, but on the other hand my mum struggle a lot unable to allow this to happen. Anne, please help me. I'm getting depressed and headache whenever my mum insist me not to go for dating nor getting married. Many thanks in advance! Editor Note: Questioner is from Singapore
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.