I currently live with my fiance's parents. I have been feeling myself get so jealous of their closeness and the fact that I live so far away from my family. I currently pay rent and I feel myself growing resentful to his parents (who are very well to do). My fiance's 29 year-old brother and 28 year-old sister live with his parents as well. I resent that I am not making as much money; I still have to fork over money since my fiance and I became engagement. The money issue didn't bother me until after the engagement. I find myself lashing out at my fiance. Am I trying to push him away from the closeness he has with his family? I want to know how I can control my rage so that I don't push him away. This isn't the first relationship that I've had where I have been jealous over family-bonding. I put my fiance first and I want him to do the same with me. I look forward to your input.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.