I am 45 years old, my older sister is 47. We live a great distance apart and last saw one another four years ago. My younger sister is celebrating a big deal this spring--my older sister will attend. She has asked me to be there, too and to spend some alone time with her. The last time we saw one another we got into a fist fight in front of my siblings, their families and my mother and her husband. I am so mortified by my own behavior that I really can't think of getting into that group situation again. I love my older sister but she's an angry, aggressive, hostile person. I am generally the quiet one but something just snapped last time we were together. She has been violent with every member of the family--this was my first outburst. In short, I'd love to see her, to wish her well, to wish my younger sister well and to show my family that I'm really not that insane. The trouble is that I don't trust the situtation, my sister or myself. What shall I do? Thank you so much and best regards.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.